The first application deadline is January 27, 2017. If fellowship spots remain, the second deadline is March 17, 2017.
The application should be submitted in one package containing the application form and all supporting documents in the order listed below.
- Do not staple any of the pages or supporting documents
- Faxed materials are strongly discouraged
- Each applicant is responsible for ensuring completion of the application and receipt by the deadline.
- If printing the application from an electronic version, please take care to change the format.
- Applications may be sent via email.
- The first application deadline is January 27, 2017. If fellowship sposts remain, the second deadline is March 17, 2017. Applications received after March 17, 2017 will be placed on a waiting list.
□ Application information
□ Four-page essay (double-spaced, 12pt font)
□ Two letters of recommendation
□ Official transcripts from all undergraduate schools attended
Applicants must be no older than 26 years of age on September 1, 2017.
Applicants must be U.S. citizens and permanent residents; current undergraduate international students will be considered on a case by case basis.
A professional resume is required. Please highlight leadership and involvement in the church, in your community, cross-cultural study or experiences, academic or other honors and distinctive experiences, skills, or interests.
Essay Questions (a maximum of four pages, double spaced, 12 pt. font)
Each applicant must write an essay discussing:
- Why you want to become a Chapel PathWays Fellow?
- What do you hope to learn from this experience?
- What will you bring to the community? (For example)
a. Your personality
b. Your understanding of and experience with intentional community living
c. Your experience of individual and corporate prayer
d. How you handle conflict and stressful situations with people. Please give specific examples.
f. Your experience/comfort with cultural, racial, and religious difference
4. Considering the Household Covenant, what aspects of the covenant excite you and what aspects do you resist?
Applicants must have earned a bachelor’s degree from Duke. Graduating seniors are eligible to apply. Copies of official transcripts from all institutions attended must be submitted in envelopes signed and sealed by the college or university registrar. Photo copies of transcripts or grade reports are not acceptable.
Letters of recommendation
Two letters of recommendation are required. The letter should be written by a person who has observed the applicant in a service, work, or classroom setting and is able to assess the applicant’s gifts and aptitudes for living and working in intentional Christian community. Letters from relatives or family members are not acceptable. The letter should be enclosed in a sealed and signed envelope or emailed directly to Rev. Bruce Puckett in PDF form.
Terms of the Chapel PathWays Fellowship
Fellows are required to move in and participate in all orientation activities beginning Saturday, July 1, 2017. Fellows are in residence through Saturday, June 23, 2018.
Stipend and benefits
Chapel Fellows receive:
- a pretax (gross) stipend of $12,000.
- free housing and utilities
- audit one course per semester; textbook allowance
- devotional materials and resources
- monthly dinners; one contemplative retreat.
- Fellows are responsible for securing health insurance to cover the term of the program.
Notification of Fellowship awards will vary depending on submission date of completed application.
Please mail completed applications to:
Duke Chapel Fellows Program
401 Chapel Drive, Box 90974
Durham, NC 27708
or via email