The Friends of Duke Chapel organization was formed in 1974 to provide a direct tie between those interested in the Chapel and its programs and services. Through the years Friends have elected officers, formed committees, hosted events, and gladly shared their gifts and talents. Their commitment offers a sense of belonging to the Duke Chapel community and provides the support the Chapel needs to remain a profound influence on and off campus.
Some of the initiatives supported by the Friends of Duke Chapel include:
- assisting in the construction of handicap-accessible entrances to the Chapel
- creating a Chapel lounge for family members during weddings and funerals
- supporting weekly radio broadcasts of Sunday worship
- assisting with the design and implementation of the Chapel’s sound system
- purchasing music, robes, hymnals, and platform risers
- paying musicians and artists to perform in Chapel services and programs.