Chorworks: Baroque Before Bach
Applications are invited from talented, early-career singers to participate in a week-long workshop exploring the richness of Baroque sacred music before Bach, featuring music of Heinrich Schutz, Johann Hermann Schein, Samuel Scheidt, Andreas Hammerschmidt, and members of the Bach family. Through Duke Chapel, the nonprofit organization Chorworks is offering this summer program "Baroque Before Bach" from June 19 to 25, 2023, at Duke University. The workshop is led by Dr. Philip Cave, executive director of Chorworks and conductor-in-residence at Duke Chapel, who has built an international reputation as a singer and conductor. Those invited to the program will receive a fellowship covering the full cost of tuition and housing (travel and meals not included). Highlights include:
- Master classes—vocal solo and ensemble coaching Molly Quinn, Guy Cutting, and Giles UnderwoodAlt Text:A Chorworks performance in Duke ChapelTitle Text:A Chorworks performance in Duke Chapel
- Seminars—Monteverdi and his music, performance practice
- Performances—formal and informal concerts with period instrument accompaniment
- Coaching—training for conductors and continuo playing and future solo engagements at Duke
The application deadline is April 16, 2023. Take the next step:
Applicants will receive their audition results starting the week of April 3 through the week of April 17. Successful applicants must submit the security deposit within ten days of an offer to secure their place.
For the program, Dr. Cave will be joined by guest artist instructors, including:
- Molly Quinn, soprano
- Guy Cutting, tenor
- Giles Underwood, professor of singing
For more information, contact Dr. Philip Cave or David Faircloth.
Watch a brief video with sights and sounds from last year's program: