Be part of the Chapel’s life and history.
Duke Chapel is founded on the generosity of individuals just like you. Your gifts are an essential part of our annual operating budget. Of course, there are many ways to give today and leave a legacy for the future. To learn more, scroll down to giving options. We also welcome your calls and emails if you would like to discuss these options and your dreams for the future at Duke Chapel:
online giving portal and select the Fund or Endowment you wish to support. Please note, the Chapel relies on gifts to our Funds as well as the Endowments. When you select a fund, your gift may be put to use immediately to fulfill our mission. Gifts to Endowments are invested and the distribution of income from the Endowment is made to the Chapel annually.
- The Friends of Duke Chapel Fund enables a wide range of ministry and programs. Donations also provide new opportunities for engagement with us, including the Chapel Calendar, the Messiah Luncheon, and other special events throughout the year.
- The Chapel Development Fund is the primary source of contributed support for the maintenance and improvement of the Chapel building. These funds help to keep the Chapel beautiful 365 days a year.
- Duke Chapel PathWays and the C. Eric Lincoln Ministry comprise the Chapel's ecumenical Student Ministries. Every year, the Chapel engages students in innumerable ways. From dinners with the dean to Duke Chapel Reads, our ministers are there to meet and care for students as well as provide opportunities for peer to peer faith formation and discovery.
- The Wells Endowment for Student Ministry ensures financial support in perpetuity for the PathWays program.
- Duke Chapel's Faith Council supports interfaith engagement.
- The Chapel Choir and Music Endowment support Duke Chapel’s internationally renowned choirs.
Checks may be made payable and sent to:
Alumni & Development Records
Durham NC 27708
Please include instructions in the memo line as to where your gift should be directed. Gifts that do not include a specific designation will be used at the discretion of the dean in the area of greatest need.
Make a Pledge
Multi-year pledges are an excellent option for those who want to give to the Chapel over several years. Your pledge will prompt an annual reminder or can be set up for auto-withdrawal from a bank account or credit card. To make a pledge, please email email@example.com or call (919) 684-5955.
A gift of stock is another way to contribute to Duke Chapel. For more information and online instructions, you may click here or email the Office of Alumni & Development Records or call (919) 684-2338 for assistance. To complete your gift, please provide the name of the stock and the number of shares to be transferred, as well as the designation for the gift: Duke University Chapel. Also note that, unless otherwise indicated, a stock broker must be contacted in order to initiate the transaction.
Notification of a stock gift may also be given directly to the Chapel Development office at (919) 684-5351.
Planned GivingOffice of Planned Giving at Duke can help you create a customized gift planning option that will further the ministry and mission of the Chapel, while also fulfilling personal financial goals.
For example, a Legacy Giving plan may:
- Generate a current income tax deduction
- Provide a life income for yourself and/or loved ones
- Reduce or eliminate income, capital gains and estate taxes
- Provide a larger gift to the Chapel than was previously thought possible
Planned gifts come in a number of forms, including:
- Gifts of securities
- Real estate
- Tangible property
- Residences or farms with retained life interest
- Life insurance
- Life income gifts
- Charitable gift annuities
- Charitable remainder trusts
- Pooled income funds
- Testamentary gifts
- Bequest gifts
- Charitable lead trusts
To learn more about Legacy Giving and other gift planning options at Duke, visit Giving to Duke or call the Office of External Relations at (919) 660-3456.
Be sure to ask your employer if the company has a matching gift program. Every year, Duke Chapel benefits from the kindness of donors who request a matching gift from their employer.
Duke employees can make charitable contributions to the university and health system by payroll deduction through Duke@WORK under MyPay.